Family Stargazing Weekend
Bookings are now being taken for a residential Family Stargazing Weekend at Exmoor National Park’s Pinkery Centre for Outdoor Learning. Astronomy expert Seb Jay will be leading sessions including a telescope workshop and stargazing talk. The weekend of stargazing and discovery runs from Friday 16th March to Sunday 18th March and is ideal for families or groups with an interest in astronomy. Some knowledge will be useful but beginners are more than welcome.
Early preparation is also underway to expand this year’s Exmoor Dark Skies Festival into a two-week period from 20th October to 4th November. Following the success of the inaugural festival last year, organisers Exmoor National Park were delighted with the interest in celebrating and promoting the area’s designation as Europe’s first International Dark Sky Reserve.
Katrina Munro, Economy Project Officer at Exmoor National Park said, “This year there’ll be even more opportunities to learn about and enjoy our dark sky. Events such as the planetarium and space workshops are a great way to introduce children to the wonders of the universe. There will also be star gazing evenings, astronomy talks and dark sky adventures.” Search #ExmoorDSF for what happened last year and keep up to date with 2018’s Festival.
“The festival is a boost for tourism and businesses are invited to hold events or use the festival to offer themed short stay packages,” Katrina continued. “I’d be delighted to hear from businesses and organisations who want to be involved.”
Visit www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/stargazing for more details, booking for the Family Stargazing Weekend or the Dark Skies Festival or call Katrina Munro on 01398 322236.
Contact: Katrina Munro KJMunro@exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk 01398 322236
Photo: Exmoor Star Trails taken Credit Keith Trueman
Notes to editors:.
- Exmoor National Park is one of 15 National Parks in the United Kingdom and in 2011 was designated Europe’s first International Dark Sky Reserve.
- Our news releases can be viewed online by visiting www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk
- CareMoor for Exmoor is the Authority donation scheme for Exmoor National Park. It offers everyone who has been inspired by Exmoor an opportunity to contribute to the upkeep of the environment of the National Park and its future. Donations help fund Nature, Heritage and Access projects to keep Exmoor special. For more information visit: http://www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/caremoor
Published: 22 February 2018
Contact the press office:Ailsa Stevens
T: 01398 323665
- About Exmoor National Park Authority
- Committees and meetings
- Meetings Calendar
- Meeting Agendas and Reports
- Jobs and Volunteering Opportunities
- Working with us
- Your views
- Equality - Improving Access for All
- Key Documents
- Records of Decisions and Access to Documents
- Publication Scheme and Open Data
- Press Room